I walked into the girls room about bedtime the other night and Maya said, "Mommy look, I uh pie-what (pirate), Arrrr!" She gave me a little right hook with her arm as well. Oh how I adore this little girl...the smiled upon my face and heart are endless with her in my presence.
So, indeed...'tis the month of candy, ghosts and goblins! I am so excited to start the Holiday season out on a happy note. There are always distressing and disheartening topics to discuss. Always. That's life, and we are molded into a character of Christ like attributes when we endure the hard times well. Actually found out my doctor failed to let me know my lab values weren't looking good a month ago. It is frustrating to hear that considering the month of pure exhaustion and struggle I faced, thinking all is well...no phone call after the labs were done. It takes another 2 months after a change in dose to feel any differences from the meds, yet...I can say in this year I have been on medication I haven't felt much of anything good come from it. We will see. My sister, little sister, found out that she has Hashimoto's as well. Turns out, that after finding these things out, our grandmother Nonna mentioned that our Great Grandmother had thyroid problems leading to a complete removal and replacement hormone for the remainder of her life. My twin has problems too...yet the laboratory values are reading high normal. High normal is actually BAD; only those who keep up with the American Endocrinologist studies will know that. I wish I could advocate for her in her appointments. We found the source...genetic...now we need to find the treatment plan that allows us to live with peace, energy, and happiness. Tough road...the body is an intricate system, ever maintaining it's own homeostatic balance; it is a beautiful process to learn about. On a very good note....
I'm back in the saddle with my RN! Just got a job today that will be more like agency nurses in the areas of specialty which I have worked over four years now: Adult ICU, Peds, and Peds observation. I will eventually add the NICU to that list, but a few units at a time to begin the process is great! The best things about this is my ability to work around a schedule for my children and my husband while maintaining my credentials, ever growing with the medical process, and adding the little bit we need to maintain a budget for survival. This came suddenly, and so unexpectedly. I had applied to many positions back in July and I never heard back from a single one until Monday evening. I called back on Tuesday...he called me back Wednesday and by Thursday I was in the office for an interview with an immediate offer! I am on cloud nine.
Nine years ago, I drove around the streets of Magna UT, wondering how I can help my family. I thought of the great abilities I could have as a nurse working even just one day a week. When I graduated 4 years ago, it was a very hard transition; yes, it sounded ideal to work a day a week, but new nurses are usually required to work atleast 2 days a week...and full time is 3 shifts a week. In only 3 shifts, you pull in 38 plus hours; they are LOOOOONG and HARD on your body. After working in a variety of ICU fields, maintaining a full time job with occasional periods of 1-2 shifts a week in the last 6 months, and feeling so overwhelmed with raising a family and wondering how we could ever make schedules jive together (yes, Steve is a nurse as well!), I had lost hope that my dream of pulling a shift a week would ever exist. Even when I cut back to part time, I was coming in full time because of the mandatory on call shifts we were told to sign up for. I worked my body to it's limits and my body fought back, almost demanding a break. After a nine month hiatus, a lot of new and welcoming changes with the children and their education, some soul searching and soul finding, and knowledge of my health problems, I am in that dream position.
Indeed, I put in the hard work necessary to give my name and license value. A nurse places value in the RN credentials by specializing, giving time for growth, and working hard. After 4 years, I have become valuable enough in the system to be part of a resource team--floating from one hospital to another in their network to fill the needs on the units I have specialized in. I am so excited!
There are so many storms in life...
But looking back, I am pleased to say that the rainbow is ever present. I recently taught the Sisters in our Stake about Forgiveness. As a matter of fact, I had applied for many nursing jobs in July...no more than a week later I received a request from the Stake to teach this class, I accepted, knowing that I would probably get a call back about the job and feel forced to back out of the teaching assignment to fill the greater family need we have...supporting our financial needs. The Lord had different plans. As the months advanced, my thoughts about the job faded, my hopes were lost, and I focused more on the children, the home school routine we were initiating and the class I was going to teach. In August I received another call form the Lord to serve as a den leader for cub scouts. I agreed. In a short period of time, between my applications for work and this new job offer, I was given many opportunities and arrows of direction from the Lord...I was able to open my arms and commit to my family and children, and to the Lord...so serve Him in His purposes. I told my husband as he worried about the budget, right before I had to teach the women last Saturday, "I will apply to more jobs after this assignment is behind me. I can't take another thing onto my plate right now...I am stressed and tired. But, if I don't hear back, I probably won't apply for a job again for awhile, I will assume it's not the right time to go back." Seriously...not even a week after teaching the sisters, I received this job. I KNOW myself, and I know that if this came the week earlier, I would have been overwhelmed and backed out on a life changing experience for myself.
2 comments:
Crystal, Check out Dr Ritamaire Loscalzo. She can help with your thyroid issues. She is a chiropractor with degrees in holistic medicine. Of course it will require a whole new way of eating, but trust me very worth it. Greensmoothiegirl.com also has some great ideas.
Thank you do much fir the advice! I will look into it. She must be in the Albuquerque area? I've heard great things about holistic care!
Post a Comment