Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Hard Things in Life

I've been thinking a lot lately about the person I swore I would never become--the list isn't very long, because I have, for the most part, dreamed about the person I would become instead:

I swore I would never:
1. Be cruel and hateful
2. Be lazy
3. Be chubby (the F.A.T. word sounds too harsh!)
4. Be angry and bitter with life.

I always thought I would:
1. Be a kind and gentle wife and mother
2. Be healthy and cook well balanced meals for my growing children
3. Be forgiving
4. Read my scriptures and say my prayers unceasingly
5. Become a nurse AND a writer
6. Own a home
7. Find time for every person in my life that I love and admire

There are things on both of those lists that have big red "X's" on them, in my eyes. I won't point out which ones they are...it is for me to judge, I guess, but they are there. I spoke with my sister today about the Atonement. I am certain that those "X's" can be taken away and give me a fresh start, Lord knows I need it...daily! It's easy to not be those things on list #1 when times are easy....and it's quite natural to be those things on list #2 when everything seems to be going your way....

BUT...

There are easy things in life....
and then, there are hard things!

Like forgetting your binky at home, and having a LONG day without it. Poor Miss Lydia suffered a 30 minute car ride at the close of the day. When we left the house, she was at peace; the day was still young, she was thrilled to be going for a car ride, and life seemed just perfect with a bag of cheese balls and a big cup of water. When she asked, "My binky?" and I said, "Oh honey, I think we left it at home!", she giggled and said, "Oh, Mommy, I left it at home!!!"

But then, after fatigue set in, a hungry tummy was approaching, and big brothers looked at her in just the very way she would despise, the pain of not having the binky became real. It's a bit harder to be cheerful and patient, waiting for a much desired blessing, when times get hard.

When we got home, I gave her the binky, and she hugged me so tight...she wouldn't let me go.

Our much desired blessings will have us hugging the Savior so tight one day...it'll be hard to let go!
Even more hard things :(
Poor Maya came down with a GI bug, but she also fell off a high chair head first. Her continuous vomiting had both me and Daddy concerned, so we visited the Pediatric Urgent Care. All is well with my princess. The doctor was awesome, telling me that she'll just want Mommy to hold her all night long....
and when she's better, she'll just want Mommy to hold her all night long again! He then left the room, came back in, and said, "Here, I have something for you!"
He handed me a sticker, to which I thought....she's only 10 months old, she doesn't need a sticker!
He said, "That's Mommy and Daddy!"
I started laughing so hard, it was Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog!
I said,"Ya, that's how it feels these days....Miss Piggy!"
He laughed with me, his white aged hair and rosy cheeks sparkling with light, as he gave me a friendly tap on the shoulder.

Some people sure know how to make the hard times...easy!
Much like the Savior!
By the way, I got a new chair today...love it!!!
And I had to take a picture of my antique wheel chair from my late Grandpa Don...love it too!

7 comments:

Sara said...

Oh Crystal,
What a sweet entry. I love how your thoughts were drawn to the Savior with the experience with Lydia; it's all a part of us learning the Atonement, isn't it. The chair is beautiful and you make a nice home for Grandpa Don's wheel chair. I love the story about the grayed doctor; I love my "older" friends--they're always the ones I remember with awe.

Erica and Dan Kiefer said...

i love how you described Lydia's attitude towards her missing binky and how it progressed to be harder and harder without it as the day continued. it's a great comparison to our own adults lives with the good and the bad that hits us. Thanks for your beautiful writing! You are inspiring and such a good mama.

Sunny said...

Unfortunately I think we, as women, judge our selves a little too harshly at times. I know my list is very long... but when I think about it I know I'm not that bad, and I'm sure the Savior believes that also. On the other hand, improvement with me seems to be one step forward and two steps back, I keep thinking some day I'll succeed.
I think that must have been the same dr. Hallie saw for her arm... a very nice man.
Also, love the chair!!
Keep your chin up! We can only do so much in this imperfect human state!

jay said...

See? Everybody thought that you're inspiring mom... =)

Lydia looks so beautiful even while crying... what can I say more? I love her so much..

The doc 'advise' story in this post really chill me up!! haha..
Nice and great post Crystal, like always...

The Skinners said...

I loved this post. Crystal .... you do EVERYTHING on your list in my opinion. You are the best mom and person I know!

Michelle C said...

Your posts are so emotional. I just about cried scrolling down through them. I admire you and your strength. You've been through something I can't imagine and yet you still have such a positive outlook. This post was wonderful. I feel the same way about things I thought I'd never be and somehow find myself there sometimes. You're awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Michelle C said...

And I love love love your music choices. I've been needing a few songs for bday videos and thanks to you my search is near over!