Monday, September 28, 2015

"Total Eclipse of the...."

I use this photo solely to communicate a line I am cracking up at, from a video you may watch below for your pleasure!  I do so because pictures always make posts more enjoyable, and this was a "bright eye" day for me as I am in the process of "turning around"!  Nothing in that statement was related to abstract thought, just look at my bright eyes turning around to see what's behind me--purely concrete writing there!

With that said, never, ever, underestimate the power of good friends and the sense of humor we all have access to when our lives are in a total eclipse! (Now that was abstract!)  Yes, even the darkest part of that eclipse can include humor, laughter, and smiles.  

(I also find this important enough to document, for memories of the smiles through the storms.  I am only able to do it by tapping each letter out with a phone. I'd much rather use a computer, believe me, but writing in some way is better than none at all.)

My friend, her name is Rachel, and she is a must have friend in life.  I don't think she would even mind that I used her full name, because she's just that friendly, but we will call her Rachel for now.  She has been influential in my life for many reasons.  She was always good, always kind, and never too serious that a hard day couldn't be soothed with a funny 80's tune, a Richard Simmons work out preview (by her of course), or a good old treat (recently it was orange cream cake)!   Everyone needs a friend like Rachel.  Little does she know, I happen to have an ear for many tunes that play in the most unexpected places, at the most unexpected times, and I break out in a lip syncing performance for many, or as many who will watch, to enjoy.  I'm okay with the fact that most people look away, but if you get me one on one, you'll hear the tune from my own voice, watch the scary dance moves, and life will feel light for just a moment....or few.  

Rachel posted the few lines of a song as her status on FB yesterday, "turn around bright eyes"!  I immediately knew what it was about, the "total eclipse"!  You have to be educated in "important" matters, like 80's music, to understand Rachel's awesome sense of humor...the song is called "total eclipse of the heart"!  While the blood moon was indeed a total eclipse this evening, it was not of the heart.  Well, for some it may have been.  I find it ironic what I experienced today before "happenstancing" upon the eclipse this evening.  Life is full of challenges, and my one VERY serious comment in this post will be here: do not for an instant believe that lives are happy and fine because there are smiles, good fb posts, and no word of trouble.  People everywhere are hurting for many reasons, myself included.  Let's be receptive and help each other through these "dark" phases so we can make it through to see the light hinting a glimmer of hope again. Not only did Rachel perfect my funny incident this evening by a simple fb post, she complimented me on a very hard day.  She knew nothing of my trial, but she spoke a word of kindness, and it made all the difference.   So, as I browsed posts about the eclipse I found nothing similar to my experience tonight.  I thought I would combine my two scary stories here!

I found myself alone on the reservation tonight before coming to work.  As I stopped my car along the side of the road at the back of a dark and desolate gas station, to take pictures of the eclipse of course, I found that I was rather quickly, not alone.  A car came speeding around the opposite side of the lot towards me.  It was small, dark, and held an older petite framed Native American  woman.  She was insisting that she deliver a message to me immediately, as was evidenced by her rapid and fearful tone of speech.  She looked opposite from where I did, as I stared at the blood red moon, and she shielded her eyes in fear, "shouspering" (the mix between a shout and a whisper),  in pressured fear, "You're not supposed to look.  You're not supposed to look!"  

I smiled, was my kind naive self, and said, "Oh I didn't know that!"

She continued, "No, you are not supposed to look, it's not good, it's a rebir---" She then paused suddenly and shielded her face more as the word "rebirth" stopped, mid vocalization.    

I asked in innocence, "What does it mean if I look?"

She looked at me as though I had gone too far, then sealed our conversation with, "I can't speak about it.  We Natives cannot speak about it. Don't look," and she drove speedily away. 

I was in the pitch dark lot, taking pictures of a blood red moon when I was summoned to fear by a story I don't know about--ummm, I actually got scared!!!!

Note: I respect and admire all cultures and belief systems, and I am only uneducated as to what she was referring to.  I happen to respect her beliefs and say nothing of what should or shouldn't be done in this situation.  

For me, I looked.  I thought, "hmmm, I wonder if I should just turn around..."  But, I continued taking pictures and admiring what I see as God's almighty beauty.  

When I logged on fb and saw Rachel's post, "Turn around bright eyes," I giggled.  This bright eyed girl, me of course, did not turn around.  

The post took me back into the lyrics, and my mind swayed with the ballad. The guys voice is singing the turn around phrases while Bonnie Tyler sings her pleas of "every now and thens".   And it goes....."Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit lonely and you never come around.  Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears.  (Higher now) Turn around.  Every now and then I get a little bit nervous that the best of all the years have gone by. (Me too girl!)  Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit terrified and then I see the look in your eyes.  Turn around bright eyes!!!!  Every now and then I fall apart. Turn around bright eyes!!!  Every now and then I fall apart...."  It gets better, I promise.  

To listen and watch this comically scary video that is sure to make you laugh, just click below.  I'm certain you need the humor as much as I do.  Oh dear 80's, how you tried to get it right!  You could have used a different sense of "bright eyes", like mine maybe?  And those scenes, whoa, whose idea was that?


In memory of this blood red moon, this total eclipse, I leave you a pitiful phone pic of mine documenting this event....

And I say to all those hearts that are eclipsing, or coming out of the eclipse, sweet dreams.  May tomorrow's light shine through.  

I will stay up, tending to my duties as a nurse.  

But you, sleep.... 😉





No comments: