Friday, August 23, 2013

Honored to be their Mommy!

I have been asked to teach a lesson on forgiveness and how we are forgiven for a Stake RS Conference in September...

I have also been called as the new Den Mother in cub scouts, and being very particular about organization, I am setting myself up to a standard of organizing and preparing for our meeting and achievements in detail so that I can guide these boys in the best ways I can...

I have ALSO taken on the responsibility of homeschooling my children and am spending late hours finding free resources, gauging where to start with the boys in math, and preparing for library visits/paperback purchases of books (over 30 for the school year to be exact) so that we can involve novel reading in great detail in our curriculum.

Life is very busy!!!

Yet, I would be saddened if I did not document all of these amazing memories of my children!

Mr. Aiden Obadiah Fultz has recently requested that I change his name to Harry Potter.  As of yesterday, he asked if I would dye his hair for him!  I was shocked, spoke with Daddy, and Daddy was all for Aiden being...Aiden, oops, I mean Harry!  Daddy said that this is of little consequence, and we need the boys to understand that we are willing to let them be themselves when it does no harm to them of us!  Today, and it will be pictures in a latter post, Aiden received dark brown hair, and is anxiously awaiting his spectacles!  He is a doll!

Last week, however, he was a bit angry.  His brother turned 10 in August, and Mimi wanted to take the kids and me to see Smurfs 2.  Afterwards, we went to WalMart so Connor could pick out his Birthday present.  Connor was was wise, gaining the most gift out of his budgeted maximum allowance.  Aiden asked, over and over again, "Can I have this? Can I have that?"  In the end, he kicked a box, his eyes scowled and poured tears, as he screamed, "It's not fair!"  I was told I am the meanest Mom in the world...and I just wanted to hug him and tell him I love him, I innately allowed him to throw his fit.  He did, no one gave, in, and he walked out to the car with Mimi upon exiting the store.  I walked a good 5 feet ahead with the other 3 children, turning on occasion to see Aiden scowling as Mimi spoke.  I took the opportunity to encourage Aiden to read scriptures with me later that evening, to gain his "bead in the jar" award for his good behaviors.  We sat together and read from Enos, talking about how he wrestled with the Lord.  Aiden understood that wrestling meant, he repented.  After talking and reading, Aiden looked at me and said, "Mom, when we left WalMart, I walked with Mimi and she talked with me.  I didn't say anything because I was mad about the present.  When we got in the car, I said 'I'm sorry' in my mind because I know that I can save to get what I want, and this was for Connor's Birthday!"  As he spoke, his eyes swelled with tears, the became red, and I felt emotion sweep through his my body, I felt the Spirit.  He pointed at his sparkling eyes, and said, "These are tears of happiness!"  I cried, hugged him tight, and said, "Heavenly Father is allowing you to feel the Spirit so that you understand that what you are doing, and the decision you have made is the correct decision!  I am so happy for you Aiden!"  He was full of happiness and peace!

His other half, his best friend, is indeed Connor.  They dressed in green, as Ninja Turtles, one day and had a battle.  They were fighting and Daddy shouted out that someone needs to surrender.  Aiden said, "You have to do the Chicken Dance to surrender!"  I listened on and was giggling so hard...these boys are great for a smile, a laugh, or both!!!

Connor has always stricken me as a young boy who is willing and capable of so much goodness, in spite of a crowd that acts contrary to goodness.  After church on Sunday, Beautiful Connor took me by the hand as I exited the RS room.  My boys always pick up their little sisters and come to greet me at my classroom...every...single....Sunday!  When I saw my children, I instinctively hugged them and gathered the pictures they created.  The three younger children ran ahead while Connor walked a slow steady pace with me.  Our hands were clenched tight as he started to tell me all about his class, "Mom, when I was in class, the teacher asked a boy what he will be doing 10 years from now.  The boy told her that he would be programming new video games for kids.  I wish she would have asked me because I woulda' told her that I will be coming home from my mission!"  My heart fluttered, and my arms wrapped around him as I exclaimed my gratitude to him fro his righteous desires.  He emphasized that he will go when he 18, and 2 years later he will be 20, and coming home In the summer, after his July Birthday!

Connor has always had a sensitive bone in his body as well.  It is adorable to see how quickly he can give love, but it is heart wrenching to see how fast he can feel pain as well.  He and his brother got into a verbal bashing today.  I separated the two of them, punished with removing an activity that they earn based on rewards and behavior, and allowed them to think.  Connor thought for awhile, and then came out to tell Aiden he was sorry.

Aiden was having none of it, and as I anticipated, Connor's heart broke again.  There is nothing that hurts more than sincerely offering an apology to find that it has been tossed without purpose.  Connor began to cry, sad, silent tears, went inside again, and then Aiden followed me inside as I went about some tasks. I looked at Aiden and asked him to consider saying sorry to Connor as well.  He did.

Connor was wise, however.  After he accepted Aiden's apology, Connor said, "Aiden will you forgive me?"  That is a crucial step we don't often take in the repentance process. Aiden said he would, and when I looked back at Connor, he came closer to me and stated, "I already said sorry to Heavenly Father and asked for forgiveness Mommy!"  

I am so grateful I am raising a generation of God-fearing children.  I pray they can always understand the process in which we become honorable and trustworthy stewards of the Lord's work and blessings. 
These boys brighten my days....their hugs, humor, and love for life is a driving force for me these days.


No comments: