
So, this picture above shows how the day started out for our little Miss Lydia. She was so excited to be walking around in Connor's car's
crocs while he was away at school! She went down peacefully for her morning nap a couple hours later. The day went seemingly without a hitch until I went to the store with
Aiden. You see, a couple of days ago Crystal asked me about a little red dot (
hemangioma) that had
appeared next to Lydia's nose. I quickly blurted out, "just pop it". Well, she didn't take me up on that advice, so I thought. But now I am at the store with
Aiden, and she decided to do just that while I was gone; pop it! I came home, arms full of grocery bags, to a little girl who looked like this picture below.

Her mouth is dirty from all of the blood and the chocolate we let her have to keep her happy while I was pressing on her face to try and get the bleeding to stop. Forty-five minutes had passed and still no luck. I had tried everything. I even tried making a "
tamale" (like one used for pool plastering to stop water leaks) out of a sock and some flour, and held that on her face. Nothing worked. We started to wonder if our little angel had a bleeding disorder or a
deficiency of some kind. With no success at home, I ripped open a diaper, tore out a piece of filler, and taped it too her face. Can you just imagine this scene? Anyway, by the time I got to the ER, which took me just 20 minutes, she had bled enough to saturate the diaper material and ooze down her face more. They got me back right away (working there has its
privileges) and after 3 rounds of Epinephrine and
Lidocaine soaked gauze and pressure, the bleeding had slowed. Still, it had not stopped. The nurse attempted to
Derma Bond it with no success. The doctor came back in and decided to have the nurse fetch some old school bonding agent from the OR that is like ether and plastic. The fumes were horrible. I'm pretty sure that's what they used to put people out with (an ether soaked mask held over your face). Again, no luck! So I held pressure with dry gauze this time while they had the pharmacy send up some
Afrin nose spray. You learn something new every day. Apparently that is a good
vasoconstrictor for situations like this or nose bleeds. By the time that got there, the bleeding had finally stopped. This was 3.5 hours into the initial
incident. The doctor came back in and with a few more
dabs of "plastic", while everyone took some huffs of ether, we were in business and more than ready to go home. Lydia was spent, and thanks to the E
pi, she head butted me and squirmed like crazy towards the end (she has never acted so hyper and never head butted me before). I drove home faster than I left it. Crystal was late for her shift tonight, and again our lives were filled with excitement! So are we adrenaline junkies, you may ask. We both work in departments that can insane at times. But, the first step to get better is acknowledging you have a problem. God, can you hear me? We have an adrenaline problem, and we are ready to quit! Please facilitate any lack of excitement possible. Perhaps, we could even have this next baby in the hospital for starters. No, seriously! So I guess this is all my fault. "Just pop it." Never, ever, ever pop anything on your or your child's face again, especially if it's red! Lesson learned!!!
3 comments:
She's even beautiful in the second picture. Cute little lips and cheeks. Glad she's okay. Sorry you all had such a rough night. Hope you all get some much needed rest.
Wow, I don't know how you handle it! I'm glad to hear you finally stopped the bleeding, poor little girl!
Miss Lydia has got to be the cutest little thing- full of personality. I'm glad it all ended okay, sorry for the stress of the moment. Another reason to move to NM - Sunny can watch the kids when Crystal is running late for work and Steve is held up with other things. I think I'll start counting reasons, then you guys can have it documented :)
Post a Comment