Not long ago, I was running around with my little sister....literally. We ran round, and round, and round. I trained hard for a marathon, got injured in my last few weeks of training, and decided to simply run the half marathon.
Training long and hard for that run was one of my best memories--for me and the children that I hauled in a double jogging stroller over rough terrain for hours at a time. While training went remarkably well, and I found myself busting out easy 9 minute miles on practice runs, the day of the race was terrible. I couldn't relate it to anything at all. Was it the surge of emotion going through me as I dedicated the run to my baby boy who died on that very day, in that lovely county we once called home, 5 years prior? Was it my fear of getting hurt again? Was is a fear of racing, something I hadn't done in awhile?
By the end of the race I was certain that it wasn't any of those things...I must be sick. I was pale, nauseous, and feeling completely out of my normal element.
My mother in law and my twin sister both commented on how they thought I'd be busting out the miles and killing them in the process, because their common motto for me was, "Crystal is strong!" Whether it was to encourage me through hard times, or to relate what they really thought, it helped. On that day, however, where was strong? Where was the swift runner that had to naturally increase the pace in order to gain a shortness of breath again? Where was Crystal?
I thought little of the logic behind the aching run when it was said and done, I simply tried to put it behind me. I admit, it worked for a little while. However, life took a quick turn, and that day stays with me as a reminder that who I am today is not a coincidence or a punishment for anything I have personally done; who I am today is what God has required of me. Some days it hurts more than others. Some days, it leads me to tackle more and work harder. Some days, it wraps me in grief as I wonder "why?"
Fast forward 2 years and 2 months from the date I ran that half marathon.
I have always lived a healthy life--never indulged in alcohol, too much fast food, or some of the challenging things people find themselves trapped in. That's not to say I haven't had my own struggles and little cravings and love for food--we all do, it's part of the joy in life. I lived 32 years healthy as I could. After every baby, I worked hard with diet and exercise to get the baby weight off, I counted calories like the big time people tell you to, added protein supplements, and found every way I could to take the kids along for the journey....a single jogger turned into a double jogger, and the treadmill became a circus night as the children gauged how far and high they could go after my run was complete. Even the last 2 years have been full of attempts to access that life again, but just like that run on March 31, 2012, something has not been the same....and fighting that change is harder than ever.
I recently received a very thorough run down of some of my labs that have been reading off the charts. That, with a few other symptoms that I have never suffered has left me wondering what exactly is happening. Long story short--the deeper labs showed off the wall activity. The body is amazing when it fights to maintain homeostasis--that happy place in every body system you can think of--respiratory, circulation, digestion, neurological, etc. However, when it is constantly fatigued by a "stressor"--like a parent is shot to the ground by the rounds of tears over accidents here and there all day long by a toddler who is learning self control while leaping into exploration--it ends up losing momentum and giving up.
What are the bodies "stressors"? That's the question which yields answers that are different for each and every one of us. My first indication that something was wrong was when I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Hypothyroidism in 2012. Hashimotos is an inflammatory condition in which my body, for some unknown reason, starts to attack the thyroid with antibodies--those wonderful suckers that are meant to attack foreign invasions!!! No, MY thyroid is not foreign, but my body thinks it is. Naturally, when your body attacks itself, you officially have an autoimmune condition. As the last few years have passed, more lab values went sky rocket high as I have been on treatment for the thyroid problem.
An autoimmune condition isn't just an autoimmune condition. Something has to trigger it to start. It can be burn out, food allergies, genetics--a multitude of factors can play into the big picture.
Now is the time when the search for my triggers needs to kick into gear. If I can't find them, the risk for heart problems, stroke, and even diabetes are extremely high--they presently are as it is. Now, after 2 years of fighting one disease I am gonna tackle the threat and deeper onset of many more. I was doing my research today and came across a quote:
"Excess inflammation is a major cause of disease in our modern times. It is linked to diabetes, cancer, heart disease, arthritis, and even the aging process. This makes reducing inflammation one of the most important ways to promote health and longevity."
I have no idea how living greater than 90% of your life at an optimal weight with a ton of exercise has led to such a bad picture. Regardless, it is what I need right now for a reason. I believe we each have time stamp upon us. Every day we live is numbered by our Father in heaven. We are asked to live in exactness and truth, but no matter how exact and honest our lives are, we must give over total control to Him. He is the sealer of our fate, the master behind the script, and the loving arms we will fall into one day, after the struggle is over.
I have a husband and four young children who need me, ever so much. They are my life. When the demands of caring for me become too much, and I neglect myself for a time, my pure love for them kicks in and allows me to care for them still. Transitioning to taking the time for me needs to commence...so I can be here for them.
Let the challenge begin...."may the odds be ever in your (okay, my) favor"!
3 comments:
I have hashimotos as well. I have been trying for 10 years to fight it. Recently my dr told me I need to do an elimination diet for 30 days and then slowly add back in each of the allergens. I have cut out mostly all sugars and gluten thus far. When I tried to tackle the other 5, I could hardly process a complete thought. Here I am just about to try and tackle them again now that I am on school break. I wish you luck!
What are the other 5 allergens he suggested? I have a loving practitioner, but it's been hard to get help still. Dealing with an entire body breakdown here. All the systems are reading abnormally. :-/
My doctor is a MD that practices alternative medicine. I really appreciate that because he recommends the complementary medicine practices that actually help. His recommendation (as well as 2 other alternative practitioners that I have spoken with) are to cut out the main 7 allergens. Gluten being number 1 because when it enters your body it simulates the thyroid which is why the antibodies show up because then the "thyroid hormone" (ie gluten)is not where it is supposed to be. So back to the allergens. #1- gluten, #2 all sugars and substitutes (I still use liquid stevia and the stevia leaf from my garden though). #3- Dairy (big problem with this one if you are trying to heal more than just your thyroid). #4- soy, #5- eggs, #6- peanuts, #7- CORN and corn substitutes (this being by far the hardest one for me because it is in everything). I have been able to do well with gluten and sugar but once I did the rest, my brain shut down SO bad and I was still teaching then. Now I am on summer break and want to try the other ones again but I am being chicken about it! I am using greensmoothiegirl.com detox because it is an elimination diet but there are a lot out there. Good luck! Maybe you can find something that works well and help me out in the end!
Post a Comment