We had Maya's renal visit last week...
I couldn't resist showing my cute hairdo that day! I love when throwing my hair up results in something adorable...
No, I am not vain, I just LOVE being a girl, from the hair to the shoes, the clothes and pearls, to the makeup and skirts; don't forget the lotions, oils, and perfumes! Oh, it is a joy!
My little girl knows that she has to visit the doctor often...
And she knows that when she sets foot into any doctors office, it is usually for her. This time, she walked in pride, stating, "My ap-oy-nt huh Mom?"
"Yes Maya, this is your appointment!"
But when we got inside and it was her time to be weighed, she began to scream uncontrollably.
I knelt down to her little level, explained things clearly, but it wasn't working. No frustration set in, no anger or fatigue, just pure sorrow for my baby who's been poked and prodded too many times for both of our likings.
I finally encouraged the nurse to allow me to hold her to receive our combined weight. She was confused, but played along. After the 140 something appeared on the display she began to walk us back to our room. I said, "Oh no, wait! Connor dear, please hold Maya for me!" I then proceeded to get my solo weight in order to subtract the difference and give us my little Mayas weight!
I'm still not sure she understood my rationale!
Maya's sad tears produced a sweet reward. The doctor, whom I work with, had a little bear brought into my sweetheart. It was enough to calm her weary mind!
She cuddled her bear...and me!
Her sad eyes came back to haunt me several times in the course of her visit, but she was ultimately left with grins and happiness!
The boys, in order to maintain a decent state of calm mannerisms, decided to practice their meditating skills.
Aiden is mastering these skills, when he chooses to!
And Lydia sought attention by pretending to fall off the bed, seeking a funny reaction from me!
In the end, our renal doctor left me with two statements of solace:
1. When you go home tonight, remember that you are a good nurse
and
2. When you get home, remember that you did everything you could have to care for the baby at the hospital.
We work together, and on this day, we cried together over the loss we have seen in the PICU. We shared in the Spirit of our faith, told missionary stories, and ended the visit with a hug of peace and happiness....
a doctor to a nurse...
a brother to a sister...
Now, this is what life is all about...
Carrying each others burdens,
Remembering who we are and reminding others of who they are,
Sharing the Spirit of peace at all times, and in all places that we may be in,
and smiling...24/7...so that all may see the joy which resides in our hearts.
Usually, he tells me one thing at the end of these visits:
Go home and love your daughter...cherish her!
I do that daily,
but on this day, my heart was mended in hearing things that MY heart needed to hear!
No comments:
Post a Comment