(Will update with pictures...they are priceless)
Beautiful Baby Shane--
The day started familiar...routines to accomplish, children to tame, and a house full of work ahead. Daddy arranged to be home most of the day; that turned ordinary as well, with errands to run, tantrums to calm, and tasks to accomplish. Yet, there was a certain calm in the air....a certain peace, and a sense of hope.
We scurried away from Target with the girls to pick the boys up at the bus stop. Mind you, at Target you would have laughed at your youngest sister giving everyone a smile. She has lost her voice, and squeaks sweet sentiments through her pudgy pouty lips. Though she is sick, she sounds as delicate and beautiful as ever. To calm her weary cries, I opened a package of oreos and allowed her to taste of its goodness. She reminded me of the goodness as well as she placed each chocolate wafer into my mouth after she had devoured the cream; I then received a sweet chocolaty kiss as a token of gratitude. Daddy roamed the isles and Maya stayed attached to my hip while Lydia placed her curious to be three year old hands on every item. Soon enough Maya wanted down to fall into her sisters footsteps; and she most certainly did. Lydia tripped and fell, slicing her tiny finger, while Maya stoped people in their tracks. They admired her oreo smitten face, her sweet strawberry blond pigtails, and her "doll like" countenance, as was uttered from strangers lips. You would have smiled at their sweetness.
You would have looked on with joy as we drove home and witnessed the pure, lovely, and gentle snow fall down. In the three o clock hour, snow began to fall...I am certain you would have loved to see our joy, and even more so, feel our peace.
You would have laughed as Lydia looked out the window at the snow as we drove through town. You would've encouraged her insisting behavior of rolling the windows down to be just one layer closer to the beautiful flakes.
Then...you would have stood in awe as Maya...stood in awe. Little, voiceless, Maya stood still as can be for minutes as she admired the falling snow. She stared at our hair, opened her mouth in mimic of Mommy and Daddy, and shivered her little body away...yet, begged to stay outside.
A grin would have crossed you face as I opened the front door to an arrangement of daisies and blue carnations. You would have chuckled as the delivery man said, "Robing Johnson?" to which I said, "Umm....no!" He looked down in confusion, fumbled his papers, and said, "Well is must be Steve and Crystal!"
When the boys got home, you would have been so proud of Beautiful Connor, and his "big boy" way of helping Daddy set up the Christmas tree. Perhaps you would have felt the strings of my heart pull as I tried to find a "big boy" task for Aiden to accomplish, knowing very well that the look on his face was a clear signal that he was not fond of Connor's "big boy" duties making him look small. You would have been proud as I claimed that Aiden could be a "big boy" and decorate the tree ALONE!!!
More giggles would have come if you could have seen the look on Lydia's face, and the tears she cried when she couldn't be just one arm stretch closer to your cake....and then the tears Connor cried when Lydia touched his slice of cake...his slice to be, that is!
The ultimate laugh would have been enjoyed as Aiden climbed on the top bunk of the beds and crept along, quiet as can be while I tucked fresh sheets and blankets into the bottom bunk. He was Santa, red hat and all. He asked me to pretend I didn't see him, and then started in a medley of Christmas stories. He said, "Then what to my wandering eyes should appear...." (long pause) "...a mouse..." Huh??? Connor quickly corrected him, "Twas the night before Christmas when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse!" Aiden took the sweet correction well, and simply recited the correct Christmas poem.
You would have delightfully given your orange hot chocolate to your brothers, seeing they were thrilled with the "orangeness" and whipped cream Daddy topped it with.
Finally, at the end of the day, when every soul but mine slept peacefully, you would have wiped the tears off my face as I finished watching the last scenes in a movie...chosen only because it seemed to be the only good thing on TV. The mother held up her hands and gracefully, quietly, said, "I give my son to you...he is yours".
At eight, Connor knows more than anyone else...but doesn't realize it quite yet.
At six, Aiden is full of knowledge and fun...all scrambled in a soup of pure happiness and joy for life.
At two, turning three, Lydia is independent, full of energy, and loving her girlhood.
At one, Maya is beautiful, sweet, attached, and everything parents love and adore.
And you, dear Shane...I long to call you five. I know I will someday. We celebrated you and the five years you have graced our family today. I'd say,"If you could have seen it, you would have loved it...." but dear child, "I know you saw it...I know you loved it!"
To my dear baby boy...to our dear baby boy....Happy Birthday!
From a family who loves you and anticipates your sweet gentle touch, your tender little coos, and your graceful growing body more than you can possibly fathom....
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!
Mommy
8 comments:
You have such a gift of meaningful expression Crystal. My heart ached for you all day yesterday. I will never forget Dec. 2nd, see my mom and niece share that birthday. Love to all of you!!
Brittney
Once again, I'm reminded of why you were brought into my life, so briefly. You have a way with words that touches the very deepest part of my soul and reminds me that life,though hard, is good.
I admire your ability to see the good through all the bad.
My life is better and brighter because you are in it. Thank you.
Happy Birthday Shane.
Oh Crystal, My hear always aches with yours. I'm reminded to cherish my Hyrum more fully, as each milestone passes. Thank you. I love you.
Simply beautiful. Sending loves, hugs, and prayers.
That was so beautiful and pure, Crystal...
and I'm so very sure, that Shane will always love and remember you (and all the rest of his family) even hes not 'around'...
I appreciate your thoughts and the way in which you write. I know Shane watches and is with you especially close on these days, when he must know your thoughts are towards him more than usual. Here's to loving him for five whole years!
You don't know me, but Stephanie Friis Adams told me about your son and your blog because just this month January 2 we lost our 6 month old daughter.Thank you for writing about your son.
Oh Rachael, my heart aches for you. Though we don't know each other, we know each other all too well. Your daughter is a beaming glorious daughter of God; to have been taken in infancy, she is perfect!
Post a Comment