Thursday, January 22, 2009

Special Delivery!!!

Once again, we were reminded that there is a greater force at work in our lives. We cannot be so arrogant to believe that any of it is really up to us, but rather we are allowed to do the things we do under the hand of a gracious father in Heaven. Tuesday started at as any other day, only Crystal and I were preparing ourselves for what was going to be a trip to the hospital on Wednesday night to begin the induction process. Little did we know at the time how that would change. We spent the day cleaning out the car, cleaning the house, running errands, and doing laundry. In fact, Crystal was doing laundry about ten minutes before having this baby. Crystal thought it was just a hard labor considering on Monday that doctors had said nothing had changed and she was still only 1cm dilated and 75% effaced. We put the kids to bed a round 6:30 and she was starting to have contractions that were hard to deal with. Prior to this Crystal said she was just feeling "crampy" most of the day. I just took here word for it and encouraged her ability to do it. Crystal folded some laundry to try and take her mind off of the contractions. We watched a show while she was doing that and I was making her laugh through this time. I figured that meant it wasn't too far along. Crystal soon began to time the contractions and found that they were about 3 minutes apart. I called the doctor's office and within about 20 minutes when I got a call back from the hospital the contractions were about 2 minutes apart. I went to see if my dad could listen for the kids until my mom got here and that we needed to go to the hospital. At that time we gave Crystal a blessing and for those few minutes there was calm, according to Crystal. As the blessing came to a close she had a really intense contraction and she felt the head drop. I knew none of this information mind you. She stood up and walked for a couple of minutes when all of the sudden her water broke. Not wanting to be in wet pants for our trip the hospital, she changed pants, with sheer will during another painful contraction. She then headed upstairs while I tried to gather some remaining items for the hospital(we hadn't gotten to that even though Lydia was 9 days late). My dad yelled down the steps; "You better get up here, you're not going to make it to the hospital"! I ran up the steps and Crystal had hid herself back the hall by the bathroom to avoid a crowd. She told me Lydia was coming. I called 911 and tried to get Crystal to lay down so this baby didn't just fall out. Somebody took the phone from me and I tended to Crystal. Her sister Sara was there and she got me some towels. I no sooner washed my hands, helped Crystal get her pants off, and tucked a towel under her when I saw Lydia crowning. Within a few seconds, without pushing, her head had come out (the contractions did all the work this time). I had Crystal do all she could to breath at that point to prevent Lydia from coming all the way out yet. I wanted some of the amniotic fluid and meconium off before she came all the way out and took her first breath. This all happened rather fast but once she was born I held her face down and got her to cry as we did not have a bulb syringe or anything. 911 told who they were talking to, to have us wipe her mouth out with a rag. Sara grabbed a rag and to my recollection not much came out. We wrapped our little miracle up in blankets and layed her with mommy to stay warm. The paramedics were there within about 5 minutes. The cord was clamped and I took the scalpel to make the standard father's cut. Crystal is my hero and I am so proud of her. It was all an amazing experience that cannot all be put into words. I hope I have not been too personal with the details. I must confess that I have always wanted to do this. I pictured it under different circumstances but I grateful for the opportunity(for more reasons than one). I cannot explain what this means to me and to Crystal after our loss nor will I try. I hope you can appreciate it for what it is; a miracle; a gift from God. Our first pictures began with an ambulance ride which, in and of itself is significant considering what I have just referenced. Our little Lydia was born at approximately 9:03 pm on January 20, 2009. She weighed 7 lbs. 8 oz. and was 22 in. long. I hope you enjoy the pictures and our special story.
These are the first few shots I was able to take. I had to get some for future evidence. The girl above is in training (what a great experience!).
The man above has been doing this for 20 years and has seen this about 10 times.
This guys is finishing up his second year of medical school. Maybe this will help him know what he wants to do; or doesn't want to do.
See, she's all smiles. It was the time of her life. Everyone loves a good ambulance ride.

Aiden is just thrilled to be a big brother. He wants to hold Lydia and touch her all the time. It is so sweet. Connor is excited too, but unfortunately he came down with a cold today it sounds like. Both boys are loving having both of their girls home.

That is one tired momma after a sleepless night. Below, I have never seen my dad have so much pride in one of these little ones. I think he is thrilled and even enjoyed cleaning that gunk out of the carpet from the sounds of it (sorry).

There I am holding my little princesa. She is so tiny for being 9 days late. I love it!
We are excited to have a little one that appears to be taking to that pacifier. Let's hope it sticks.
Here are my two girls. It is fun to have another one in the home. They are both so beautiful!
This is Lydia's first car seat experience. We could not wait to bring her home this morning. It has been wonderful so far. We will cherish every moment. With her entrance into this world, I'm sure she has something special in store!

21 comments:

matthew emilee sarah and jack said...

once again you guys are amazing !!!!!! That was so beautiful and she is absoulutley the most beautiful thing i have ever seen next to my emi of course she takes first preference . You guys are my heros . Im so excited to have the experience to bring another new born into this world , they are wonderful and amazing . Isn't it amazing how heavenly father trusts us with HIS children . I was singing i am a child of god to emilee and matthew today adn It brought tears to my eyes . All they want is us to Lead and guide them and walk beside them . Children are wonderful . LOVE YOU BOTH and Welcome LYDIA WE LOVE YOU . Love ya
sarah

Sunny said...

Crys and Steve- I am just amazed with the beauty of your little girl. I am so glad that you had that experience. You are both wonderful servants of the Lord and I know that this will bring some light to all you have experienced. I'm sure baby Shane has been with her through all of this and will continue to guide her innocent infant spirit. I love you both so much and I can't wait to meet beautiful Lydia. I don't like it when people say this- but she looks a lot like Crystal's baby pictures! She is soooo beautiful! Hope to meet her soon!

"The Adams Family" dadadada said...

Oh thank you for every detail!!!
That is what every mom wants to hear! DETAILS!!! Thats was an intense night! congrat!!! Im glad to know mom and baby are doing good! good job steve for keeping your cool and delivering your new angle! congrats again!

Emma said...

WOW! I can't believe you delivered in the hallway. Seriously! That's amazing. What a memorable experience that was for sure! She is beautiful. Congratulations! Glad everyone is doing well. And yes - thank you for the details. Moms love those kind of stories.

Jackie said...

Congratulations!!

You two are champs--I'm so glad everything went smoothly (especially considering the circumstances!).

Lydia is darling. Well done. :)

amyorr said...

I have been anxiously awaiting for this post. Val told me all about it and I couldn't believe it. She is beautiful! I am so glad that everything is okay. You are amazing Crystal. really. Enjoy your little princess.

Chell said...

Oh my word what an incredible story. I am so happy everyone is okay. Congrats to you both.

I would love to come take newborn pics for you. Just let me know.

Christine Bushman said...

hey having a kid at home is not that bad. We have had one just like your little girl's special delivery, too. except for he was born in the driveway!
My hubby and I call this kind of delivery "fast and furious"

Sounds like everything went great!

oh by the way, I am a member of Sara's NM ward. take care of Sara while she's there. We miss her and her family's sweet spirit.

Wendy said...

Congrats!! This is my worse fear...my last labor was 1 hr long. I am terrified of not making it to the hospital...You are an inspiration to me! Lydia is precious, and it looks like you have two proud big brothers. You have a wonderful family.

Steve, your dad looks great. Tell your parents I said hi!

Stevie said...

Your baby is SO cute! That is an amazing story. Congratulations!

(I just saw the link to your blog on facebook... it's been a long time. Your family is beautiful!)

Anonymous said...

Crystal - Girl look at you with your makeup on already! Strength with grace and beauty - that's Crystal! I would say you amaze me, but I am just not amazed at all. Tears didn't come until I saw your face in the picture with Lydia and noticed you had your make up on. Then it was all tears AND laughter.

Lydia - Welcome! Hugs and kisses - all over your face! (I'm guessing your mom, dad, Aunt, Grandma and Grandpa are taking care of that for us all who can't do it ourselves)

Steve - WOW! GREAT JOB DAD!! How did you think so calmly and remember just what to do? What a great Dad and husband!!! Thank you for all the details. All the other women who posted here are so right - women want details! THANK YOU!!!

Bob - As soon as I told my daughters about Crystal having Lydia in the hallway, the first thing Shalice said was, "What a mess!" Then she felt bad that, as a mother of 5, the mess was the first thing she thought of. I just wanted you to know she was feelin' for ya!
She will be so glad to know there was at least one towel to help some.

Sandy - Good planning! I would have wanted to be wherever you were!

Sara - Thanks for thinking of me and for sending the message through Facebook. Seeing it through your eyes and then through Steve’s has been so fun!

Tim - We love you! Get well!

Crystal said...

WOW! What a delivery! Way to go Crystal. I didn't know the Dr. would let you go 9 days over due! She sure is small for being that late! Congratulations, She is precious!

The Skinners said...

Oh my gosh what an amazing experience. She is absolutely beautiful in every way. I got tears in my eyes as I read this birth story. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Ginnie said...

Are you kidding me!?! That is the craziest story ever. Crystal you are my hero, and stever way to be cool under pressure. She is absolutely beautiful and I couldn't be happier for the two of you. :)

em said...

HOLY COW. To say you are both champs is beyond an understatement. You definitely win the delivery story contest (if there ever was one)!

I just have to say that it's too bad Sandy wasn't there in time--

And Lydia looks like a sweet, sweet baby. Congrats you guys!! That story was worth the 9 days' wait, right?

Krystal said...

Wow, I agree you too are amazing! Crystal, God really does know you, and what an amazing women you are. What a perfect example you are for your sweet children, and even more so for that beautiful little girl of yours. She is adorable! I loved reading the details, and just thinking about how much joy you both must of felt as she entered this world. I am so happy for you all. The boys looks so happy, and seeing them hold a little one must fill your heart smiles. I know how long you have both longed for this day! Congrats!!! She's perfect.

Em said...

Congrats! I guess that's one way to get it done! So glad everyone seems to be doing well. Enjoy this fleeting newborn stage!

Melanie said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I am so impressed at how everyone handled the situation. And I am so happy that little Lydia and mommy Crystal are doing well. Welcome Lydia, what a great entrance!

Living Lavallee said...

Wow, what a story! Congrats on Lydia; you have a beautiful family!

Zac and Kaylan said...

Way to go Crystal and Steve! I heard the news last week from Brittney Henrichsen and was flipping out! What a "Special Delivery!". This is actually Zac's nightmare but I don't think we will ever have to worry about me delivering at home;) I am so proud of you both! Power to the nursing students! Hehehehe! I am so glad that sad memories could be replaced with happy ones and that you are blessed with a happy and healthy baby girl! The close up picture of her shows her off and she is Bee-utiful! All our love and prayers! Kaylan, Zac, Haley and Kori

Christine said...

Wow...that is something so special to have gone though. Congratulations and hope all else is well.