Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The first, I mean THEIR first day of school!

On the first day of school, scratch that! On the 8th, 9th, or 10th day of school--whatever day it was--we got about this far! The camera stayed on the counter, the kids were dressed and ready for take off, but I was a frantic mess! I realized all too late that the paperwork for enrollment was an impossible task with a screaming toddler and infant...so we stayed home!


So, on the second day of school, scratch that too! It must have been the 9th, 10th, or 11th day of school--we made it about this far! I actually took pictures of my beautiful boys in front of the school before anyone had arrived to begin the day. I was playing the role perfectly...encouraging my Miss Lydia in Mommy voice to stay right beside me, and laughing as she tried to assert her independence. Maya was in her car seat as I tugged her along, and the boys were super excited to be going to school together! A teacher, on her way in, exclaimed, "Are all of those yours?"! I said yes proudly and wearily all at once...happy to have them, but weary that all of them--except Maya--were running in different directions.
As I took these photos I thought of how funny it would be to be turned away...it was a mighty struggle to get them to THEIR first day of school after a long move from Louisiana.
AND...we were turned away!!! I told Aiden I was terribly sorry, and that we would try again at a different school...he was literally heartbroken. Connor was in heaven...he's a 2nd grader, they don't like school!

We tried again a full week later! I was a bit discouraged from my running around and refusals time and time again...so I took my time and really thought about where they needed to go to school...we were not, and still are not, in a permanent residence, so we played the guessing game.
They look thrilled huh? This ended up being THEIR first full day of school...and they were already in the principals office being chastised by the secretary for goofing off! Connor was ready to go home, and Aiden was learning that school isn't all fun and games...the big people get a little mad when you're too goofy!
But, they are still boys...and still goofy. Sometimes, they need their room to be such...
Because every day they are one step further from their wonderful innocence and one step closer to that crazy world I want to run away from!

Yes, they finally started school...and it has been nothing but chaos since. I sure do love my boys!

1 comment:

Zac and Kaylan said...

Oh Crystal! What an ordeal! I am so glad they are settling in with school but I completely understand wanting to send them off but keep them away from the bad things of the world. Those boys are blessed with great parents who love them and would never let them stray:)