Thursday, November 13, 2008
More and More an Outcast, I Feel!!!
So, I know my title here makes me sound like Yoda, but here's my point. While at my clinical rotation for nursing yesterday, I made a comment about how a company put something on their chip bag about buying energy credits. I basically said it was a farce (which it is). Little did I know what a stir that would cause. I was confronted and what I would call attacked on every side. There were 7 other student nurses there and my instructor. I felt demonised for not buying into the garbage fed to us by Al Gore and his cronies. My clinical instructor from what I can tell called me an idiot (she denies it) and not one person agreed with me. I must say they got the best of me and I ended up calling somebody else an idiot as well. I felt like such an outcast and that I was being attacked on every front. I felt like they were trying to silence me, the opposition. I think that is something Jonah Goldberg was talking about in his book, "Liberal Fascism". For me it is hard enough going into nursing being a man, but then to add conservative values on top of that is even harder. In the beginning of the semester I was harassed about my wife and I having 4 children. I was told to get a hobby among other interesting things that don't need to be repeated. I remember telling somebody a couple weeks ago how I still believe in the goodness of people and how there was still so much hope. The more I am confronted with the "weirdness" of people I talk to, the less hope I have. I fear that we are entering an age when it is going to get extremely hard to be somebody with conservative values and even a belief in God. Maybe the hearts of men are failing them. I pray that is not the case and I hope I can reach out and love others in spite of our differences. I feel like I try to do that on a daily basis. I hope that I have left that impression on most people I encounter. If that is not the case then I am deeply sorry and will try to show my love for my brothers and sisters more fully. However that does not override the fact that some things cannot be compromised. There is no grey line with good and evil. It is black and white. I know that we have a loving Father in Heaven who loves all his children, but even he cannot tolerate wickedness. He wants us all to be free to choose to be good for ourselves. That is the only way we will learn and grow. Let it be known, that I have my own faults (many in fact), and I am beyond grateful for my Savior who has given me the chance to repent and be clean in spite of those weaknesses. I pray for the strength to be a better example in ALL that I do and say. I apologize ahead of time for a different kind of post on our family blog, but I just wanted my thoughts about life and recent events to be on record.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Keeping with the Star Wars theme of speech!!! Seems every boy in our little family has a recent obsession with it! You expressed your situation very gently for how it actually happened--I admire your willingness to press forward and strive in love for these people instead of bitterness and anger. The way you are treated for standing for truth and goodness, and even for being a good father who wants a large family is absolutely ridiculous. I love you for who you are--THEY don't matter! I do, right ;)
I'm sorry Steve. To me, what they say and do to satisfy their uneducated and carnal beliefs, is ridiculous too. It seems everyone tries to find a reason why everyone "else" is the cause for the world's distress and unhappiness, when all it really comes down to is looking in one's, making changes, and going from there. I see you and your family as a good example of sticking to your righteous values and I'm not surprised you're persecuted for it. Keep up the good work; you deserve all the blessings for your hard work in that program you have to be stuck in. Love you, Sara
Oh, that previous post of the boys is darling.
Thanks for your post Steve! Reading it made me a little sad but made me reflect on the Lesson we had today in Relief Society. It was on the Second Coming and the Millenium. It came up during the discussion how the world will become more evidently divided. Much more black and white, right and wrong. Knowing where you stand and sticking up for what you believe in is becoming more and more the trend for us church members now a days. We can only love others and always stick by what the church teaches. Despite the hostile attitude I am sure they felt your spirit. Keep your head up. The world needs more "male nurses" like you who will be kind and compassionate :)Hey and by the way...you and Crystal make beautiful babies! Have a dozen if you want!
Post a Comment