December 1, 2006--Mommy and Aiden anxiously waiting for Baby Shane. Less than a day later, on December 2, 2006 at 3:07am, we would hold our little angel for the first time.
Moments later, I would change into more comfortable "laboring" clothes and take a picture with our little family, Shane in belly, one last time before his entrance into this world. Little did we realize how sacred his entrance into life would be for us and how little time we would be given to treasure and hold him as a tiny babe.
But on his Birthday, we held him so close, as any new parent would their newborn child. Daddy marveled at the beauty of his third born son and proudly cuddled him in his arms.
I explored the face that hid within my belly for 9 long months and simply glowed in the light of a beautiful birth experience and a perfect little son. Quite literally, I was in awe over how the Lord would bless me with a perfect tiny bundle.
Actually, we explored each other!
The proud big brothers--Connor and Aiden--came into the hospital room to visit their Baby Shane. When Connor entered the room, he ran to me and said, "Mommy is Baby Shane out of your belly yet?" I was holding Shane directly in front of Connor's face as he frantically looked around the room for his little brother. After quite a bit of redirection, he saw his baby brother, tore his coat at both sides from the center of his body, smiled with enthusiasm, and said, "Baby Shane, look at my new cars shirt!" Aiden was just a babe himself, almost 19 months old. Grandma had dressed the boys in brand new clothes for their first visit with their Baby Shane--they looked handsome, and I was overcome with joy as I held my three boys all at once. There was no greater joy than to have all my children surrounding me.
I captured his beauty!
And the beauty of a big brother who would--over the few short months he had with Baby Shane--claim Shane as his own. He still claims Shane as his own! We sat together, Connor and I, in the weeks following Baby Shane's birth, and he would say that Baby Shane is, "Mommy and Connor's baby".
Daddy traveled home in the wee hours of the morning after Shane was born, got a few hours of sleep, and then traveled back to be with his baby boy. The anticipation of our children's lives leaves Steve exhausted in the weeks surrounding their deliveries--he get's little sleep along side of me!
Honestly, Steve never really wanted to leave me and Shane; he was so rushed to get to us on the day of our discharge that he was pulled over by a police man for speeding AND not changing his address on his license within a specified amount of time. (We had just moved to Lititz, PA--that is where all of our Baby Shane memories developed!)
I felt like an angel that day; little did I know that I literally held a perfect little angel.
Here is to the love we have for our tiny Birthday boy. We celebrated his Birthday only once while he resided on this earth--the day of his birth. Although the pain of his loss causes us to think of the missed anniversaries and land marks in his life, we are filled with anticipation for the time when we will have all of those precious moments to experience in a fullness of joy. Still, my heart aches to hold him once more, to be brought back to that sacred day of his birth, to kiss his tiny hands and feet, and to say, "I love you so much!" The Lord has heard my prayers, and I am certain Shane has heard those longings from me this day. Godspeed my prayers!
17 comments:
That post was beautiful Crystal. I'm in tears. You and Steve amaze me. I miss Shane but feel so honored that I could have been there to hold him when he was born. I adore all of your children. You're a good Mommy. Steve's a good Daddy. Now, to holding Lydia, but before long it WILL be Shane, I'm sure of it. I love you . . .
that song makes me cry too
Wow, this was so very touching and sweet. I second what sara said, you and steve amaze me too. That last picture on this post with steve and baby shane is priceless. Thinking of you...
What a wonderful tribute to our dear little “Baby Shane” and the evidence of love for him from his family. I enjoyed visiting his grave site last night with mom and cleaning off the marker for your visit today. Oh how I pray that you will receive an outpouring of love from Father in Heaven. You are pillars of strength and examples of great Faith, Hope and Trust in the Lord to us all. I hope you will have a wonderful day together as a family as you celebrate Shane’s Birthday. May God bless you. I love you all so much. Especially you Baby Shane, on this your special day. Happy Birthday!
Love, Dad/Grandpa
Crystal and Steve, I just have to say that you and your family are AWESOME! Thank you for inviting me to your blog and letting me feel of your spirits again. Happy Birthday Baby Shane! What a sweet and Dear little Babe. Thanks for sharing his photos and his story. I know that your hearts and spirits are inseparably connected. May the Lord bless you with peace and happiness that is lasting and makes your burdens light. Sincerely, Dan H.
Thinking of you of both today. Aching with you. Wishing that the hole in your heart grows smaller. Rejoicing with you - that you are an eternal family and will be together again.
Good luck with the new baby. Can't wait to see her and hear all about it. Brinn just had another baby girl - Camilla Ann.
Brittney
HAPPY BDAY BABY SHANE . Hope you all have a wonderful day of rememmberance and love .
Love you all
Sarah
Crystal,
I just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family on this day. A mother's love is forever. Your Shane undoubtedly knows that he was treasured and loved by you and his family :o) I hope with all of my heart that you find peace in knowing him and the joy that he brought you.
God Bless!
hilary maez
Crystal and Steve,
We are thinking about you and Baby Shane on this day. We love you so much and the beauty and grace you both share, along with your beautiful little boy has changed our lives! Your connection to eachother and to your children is amazing, but most importantly your faith in our lord and his plan is astonishing. Your are wonderful parents and set a great example to follow! We Love you and our thoughts are with you and blessed Baby Shane.
Thanks for letting us revisit such beautiful memories of Baby Shane. May we live worthy of holding him again. Hope you had a good day. You are such good, strong examples. I love you.
Oh Crystal what a precious post remebering your sweet little angel. Great pictures of your little baby boy to use for the post too. ((HUGS) to you..
Crystal, what a pleasant surprise to hear from you. I am so sorry to hear about your sweet little boy. My heart hurts for you. Your boys have grown up so fast. I can't believe it. It's so fun to see. I will look forward to seeing your little girl!
You guys always make me cry with your sweet words, and perfect memories. Thanks for sharing those priceless pictures. What a perfect boy little Shane is. You are truly blessed to have him, and I can only imagine how amazing the day will be when you see his little face again, and hold him close for forever. God bless you, Steve, and your little ones. Our prays are with you at this time of year.
Crystal, when I think of a woman of strength I think of you. You truly are remarkable and even more so to be a mother to Shane. I am really excited to meet your baby girl and think Lydia is the sweetest name! Good luck and keep smiling!
Happy Birthday baby Shane. Decemeber 2 is a good day for cute babies to be born :o) I am so glad that you commented on my blog, now I can stay updated on your sweet family. How are you guys? Your boys are getting SO big and congratulations on #4!
I just found your blog from Steve's facebook profile. What a beautiful post, Crystal. You have such a talent with words and expressing yourself. Thank you for sharing your quiet strength. What a wonderful perspective you have. Merry Christmas.
What a touching tribute to Shane. I can just feel your love for him through your words. You are amazing people.
Post a Comment