Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Return to Blogging (I was inspired tonight)!!!

So, it has been awhile since I have contributed to our family blog and have been looking for an excuse to start blogging again. Well, I felt like tonight was worth noting for our final printout, when we make a scrapbook/family history out of all of these stories. This could officially be my return to blogging. I was inspired tonight by the normal experiences of life that are not necessarily expected or desired. So, here it goes:

Worked my second day shift in a row because there was no coverage on the unit after being on for three straight nights, making it five in a row at the hospital.
Wife worked tonight, so kids were at the in-laws.
Asked a coworker to come in 30 minutes early.
She said yes.
She showed up about 10 minutes early. (wow....thank you!)
Got a new admission right at 7pm (shift change).
Helped other nurse settle patient.
Other nurse is incompetent so I ended up doing everything for her.
Told other nurse I was leaving and she needed to enter orders and take over.
Other nurse complained. (so sad....TOO BAD!)
Caught the end of a rare solar eclipse. (pseudo impressive)
Sunglasses didn't really provide protection for my eyes. (oops!)
Drove to trade cars in the parking lot of hospital where Crystal works.
Really need the bathroom after a long day at work, but ran off the unit to avoid any more questions.
Called ahead of time for picking up kids so they would be ready.
Talked for awhile......really need the bathroom now!
Kids packed in the car......not sure if they were all buckled.
Contemplate pulling over and doing my guy thing.
Make it home without any speeding tickets. (a rare occasion these days)
Rush the kids into the house.
Let them roam while I use the bathroom and get a shower.
Get dressed and go to get the girls to put them in bed.
Maya's butt is wet.
Maya's butt is really wet!!!
I check her diaper....
OH CRAP!!! (literally)
I now have to deal with perhaps the worst diaper ever seen and this is child #5.
Get her wiped up and into the shower.
Go to throw away diaper and trash can is overflowing.
Take out trash!
Give Maya and myself, again, a shower.
Quick get the Maya and myself dressed.
Put girls in bed.
Put the boys in bed, not really knowing whether they have brushed their teeth, said their prayers or any of that. (too bad....I'm exhausted and feeling defeated)
The clock strikes 10 pm.
What a day!
What a week!!!


I am grateful for life's many rare moments but it has been a hard week with work and now at home, and I made it through all of this tonight without voicing any frustration or raising my voice. That doesn't sound like much, but when running on empty like I am, is a big accomplishment I believe. I have the most wonderful children who have an innate gift of love, patience, innocence, forgiveness, purity, and doing what's right. I owe a lot of their amazing character that is not innate to my precious wife. She is an amazing woman. I love my Princesa! I hope her night is going better at work than mine did here. She sounded busy though, so I am doubtful. Some days; some weeks; some years are just like that. We have been through thick and thin together and moments like these pale in comparison. I am grateful for all experience as it benefits me and it benefits my family. If nothing else, I hope my misery, if you will, brings you a little laughter. I often feel like Moses, that perhaps I am not so good with words. I do hope, however, that it is worth your time.....for those of your who still read the goings on of our little speck of life in this big old world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you so much! It is awesome to read your documentation of the crazy things we deal with day in and out! Made me smile mid shift! Love you!!! Princessa..,on lunch break...so anonymous is me!

Erica and Dan Kiefer said...

You and Crystal work so hard together, and even though I often read on yoru blog or facebook about the crazy stresses in your day-to-day life, I LOVE how openly sweet you two are to each other -- all the comments and love-notes to each other. You are such a solid team thorugh the good and bad! THAT is an accomplishment, too. Your kids will continue to watch you and learn how a husband and wife can still be happy and in love, even without the easiest path of life. You guys rock!