The spirit of Christmas really began for us a few weeks ago, on December 2nd, when we celebrated Shane's birthday. I could not wait to fulfill my role as the man who really does have a bowl full of jelly. I love getting things for other people and seeing the smiles on their faces. We arrived at Christmas Eve and tried to make our annual trek to Baby Shane's grave, but odds were against us and we could not get there. We tried as hard as we could but there were at least 3 major accidents along the way as we changed our route each time until we could go no further. We came home and continued with our day, though missing our opportunity to leave our love at the graveside saddened me a little. The day continued and we made cookies, hung some new ornaments, and wrote our letters to Shane that we then laid to rest in our Christmas box, to be opened by Shane when we meet again (inside I'm sure he has already seen them). The boys were treated with fresh cookies and some ice cream as we read a Christmas story book made by Crystal and watched "Joy to the World". The spirit filled our home that evening and I felt an immense sense of gratitude for all our blessings, especially the gift of my Savior, Jesus Christ. I believe the kids sensed it as well and went to bed with a better understanding. As any child though, the anticipation for Santa to come grew stronger as they laid their sweet heads to rest one last time before awaking to Christmas morning. Mrs Clause and I did our thing which was not much, since most of the gifts had been under the tree for several weeks. Santa was the only one who had yet to bring his offerings. I had to snap a shot of our tree, which was tucked in the corner next to the kids play area (those aren't all Christmas presents).
Well, Christmas morning finally came and I woke Connor up knowing that Aiden would be up soon anyway. I wanted Connor to get the first peak at the tree since he is older and Aiden is normally the first one out of the bed. I thought he would feel special. He was up faster than I've ever seen him get out of bed and he ran to tell mommy and Aiden who had come to our room in the wee hours to "get up you sleepy heads; Santa came". So the boys made their way to the tree and we were off to opening gifts. This is actually a poster for both of the boys, but Connor was given the pleasure of opening it since we need he would be the most excited about it.
This is a gift from Aiden to Connor. All of the action/fighting kind of toys originally came to be something of interest through Aiden, but Connor has grown to like them as well and he really wanted to have this Optimus Prime helmet. Thanks Aiden!
Mimi and Papa got the whole family this "Wii fit" for Christmas. I think they are trying to tell us something. If I get rid of this belly though, I won't be able to play Santa Clause next year. I am happy to announce though that I did loose 5lbs the 2 weeks leading up to Christmas, probably only to put it back on with all the food.
Aiden got this cool speed racer helmet from Connor. He wanted it awhile ago before we even saw the movie. We were lucky enough to rent it and watch it a couple weeks ago, and I have to admit I thought it was cool movie. The boys loved it.
Well, here I am putting together the Star Wars Lego's I was telling you about. I am still working on it. There are like 1300 pieces.
And here are our little elves, at least that's what we were calling them. We told them they were wearing elf pants, which by-the-way, we made them Christmas eve. I made Aiden's and Crystal made Connor's. Cute, don't you think?
This one is just glad to be getting some hot chocolate and cookies (mostly the hot chocolate). He loves chocolate. I think he could live off of chocolate milk and peanut butter cups if we let him.
So, that was our Christmas at a glance. I hope you all had a very merry Christmas as well. Being with family is the best part of all. I am so thankful for that!
6 comments:
Wow! What a wonderful Christmas it seems that your family had. I guess with Emma being so young, we haven't gotten our traditions down to being that seemingly calm and serene. Hopefully one year! Love you guys!
Hey Sunny--It takes a few years to start establishing traditions with the kids. I wrote a Christmas book when Connor was 2 1/2 and we have used it to begin some of the traditions in our home--all else comes with time, experience, and in our case, some heartache. It gets so fun as the kids get a little older--and as more kids come. I told Connor that Christmas is fun with kiddos, and he said that "Christmas is fun with you Mommy!"
Its so fun when your kids really get into Christmas! This was the 1st yr it was fun for me to see it all through my kids eye!
you guys had a wonderful christmas! i'm sad you couldn't get out to see shanes grave, but it's nice to hear about the letters you're offering to him each year . . . what a great idea. i'm really impressed with the lost 5 lbs.--actually, a little jealous :) and totally love the pj bottoms. steve, good job, and you too crystal. that was the first time for both of you right!? aren't they fun to make! I have a lot of material here to make the children knit stipped pj's and if we end up out there, there is more than enough to make the boys some too. wouldn't that be great!? i love you guys. thank you for everything.
Oh I love their little "elf pants" so cute!! Looks like they had a GREAT Christmas!!
I always love reading yours and Crystals post. I feel so lucky to know you both, and feel blessed to read your words and see your perfect example. I am so glad you had a fun Christmas. I love the idea of writing letters to Shane. What a special way to let him know how much you love and care for him. Well God bless and good luck with the little one. She's coming soon right?
Post a Comment