Saturday, February 6, 2010

They Look Sweet and Innocent...

These pictures are from the happy days of take home pizza, all you can eat buffets that had steak, and lots of MacDonald's...or Burger King! Times are changing in this house!
Well, for the most part, I can say that my children are all sweet and innocent. Today, however, they took me by surprise! All, but Aiden, which is a shock in and of itself. Note, these pictures are from an earlier day in January--NOT TODAY! Do not be deceived!
I have been working a lot lately--Steve too! We love hot pockets, frozen burritos, cereal, chips, etc. Nursing school taught us survival, and now our nursing jobs are simply applying all the wonderful skills we established as typical tired nursing students. These skills are not limited to the IV's, injections, assessments, careplans, and critical thinking, but also the pizzas, burritos, hot pockets, chips, and M&M's!
So, in attempt to be a little more motherly, and wifey, I decided to make dinner for Steve and the kids tonight. We both worked 12 hour shifts last night, met each other in the cafeteria at midnight (snuck away from our units just to see each other...cute huh?!), and got home this morning. He was home 3 hours prior to me, but stayed up to tend to the kids until I got home. He was working again tonight, so he was sound asleep all day while I attempted to hold down the fort! Back to dinner...
As I was making dinner, I held Lydia and said, "Mommy's making dinner tonight, that's kinda weird huh?!" She looked at the dish, and without hesitation said, "Uh-oh." Hmmm....clue #1 was in place, this wasn't gonna be good! Connor saw the final masterpiece and told his Dad, "I knew I shouldn't have woke up this morning so I wouldn't have to eat dinner. It's like a nightmare!" Lydia tried it and cried, Daddy ate in delight, Connor and Aiden were astounded when they found out they were going to bed with nothing (then I broke and told them to stuff a gogurt in their mouths quickly before bed--bad parenting skills!), and I ate proudly! I like cereal and frozen foods....they don't like me though, sadly!

2 comments:

Sara said...

this is SO funny! I love that you can laugh at it. Tim read this before me, laughed, and I couldn't wait to get to it to see what was so funny. Lydia is so cute and CONNOR! He better learn a thing or two about respecting them elders around there! Next time, try, "thank you maam". hahaha. gotta love his drama!

Anonymous said...

you are too cute crystal! i love reading your blog...it's good to know that i'm not the only one out there with "good" parenting skills! :) you and steve are doing an amazing job !